Thursday, May 15, 2014

Meeting Team HMF


A couple months ago, the Hartford Marathon Foundation was calling for runners interested in being part of a new team they were putting together to help promote their events. Team members would be required to participate in at least 5 Hartford Marathon events, talk about them on social media, wear team apparel while training and racing, and organize a community event. In return, team members would receive some free gear and entry into races. Fair enough, right? The Hartford Marathon Foundation is a great organization, I would be running the races anyway, I love talking about running, and who doesn't like free gear? So I applied. A couple weeks later, much to my surprise, I received an email letting me know that I was one of 25 runners selected to to be on the first Team HMF!

In the last few weeks, I've been getting to know (stalking) my new teammates through social media. Last Thursday, we had our first team meeting where I had the opportunity to meet the HMF staff and the rest of the team in person. What an incredible group of people! The team is a diverse bunch made up of various shapes, sizes, ages, backgrounds and abilities. But we all have one thing in common - an incredible passion (obsession) for running! As we went around the room to introduce ourselves and share our stories, I was impressed and inspired by each and every one of my new teammates. Some overcoming weight problems or smoking habits. One battling cancer. Others helping communities. And some just serious kick-ass runners! It was awesome.


I have never experienced a situation where I could talk for two hours straight about running, to anyone in the room, without boring them to death! It felt like a Runners Anonymous meeting, with a room full of enablers. It was great to hear Beth Shluger and the rest of the staff talk about the organization and their excitement about the team. I am thrilled to be on a team with such incredible people, representing a positive organization, and I look forward to a great year with Team HMF! This Sunday I'll be participating in my first of many HMF events this year, the Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon, in Glastonbury, CT, with several of my new teammates. Stay tuned for a race report next week. #TeamHMF

Did you know that the Hartford Marathon Foundation does so much more than just stage the marathon each year? What HMF events do you participate in?




No comments:

Post a Comment