Thursday, June 5, 2014

Iron Horse Race Recap

What an amazing day this past Sunday, for the Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, 10k and 5k! Another great event organized by the Hartford Marathon Foundation. It's an awesome race, with a distance for everyone, but for whatever reason, I hadn't run it since 2008. This year, I wanted to run a spring half marathon this spring, and it worked with my schedule so I registered.

TRAINING
After the Boston Marathon on April 21st, I spent a lot of time cycling to train for the Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon on May 18th. Following the duathlon, I had two weeks to quickly recover and focus on the half. Because of work and travel, my training those two weeks was inconsistent at best. I was squeezing short runs in where I could, but was out of my typical routine which really put me out of sorts. I did manage to get in a solid twelve mile run in while in Catham, MA (my favorite place to run) for Memorial Day weekend, but that was my only run longer than 6 miles since Boston.

Team HMF before the start. 

RACE DAY
Blue skies, cool  weather, and 2,000 positive people made for a great pre-race atmosphere at the center of Simsbury, CT. I met up with some of my Team HMF teammates for a quick team photo, went for a short warm up run, then made my way to the starting line. Since my training was a little off, I didn't have high expectations but I'm too competitive not to set aggressive goals. My strategy was to run at a 6:15 min/mile pace for the first 6 miles, see how I felt, then hopefully hang on at that pace for the rest of the race. If I had a good day, that would put me at a finish time of 1:22:00. I figured that would place me in the top 10 overall and top 3 in my age group. Well, surprisingly, I had a great day. As usual, I went out too fast, but at mile 6 I felt great. I felt strong. I decided to turn it up. I caught and passed the previous year's winner, then another runner, and another. The next runner was far ahead in the distance, and with only 1.5 miles left, I assumed he was out of reach. But after a mile, I had closed the gap and was now on his heels. With about 1/4 mile left, I passed him going into the last turn, and he didn't have the legs to do anything about it. As I ran to the finish a race official told me I was third. THIRD! I couldn't believe it. I didn't believe it until I heard them announce my name as the third place finisher as I crossed the line in 1:18:31. It was a personal best half marathon time for me by almost 5 minutes. And the runner I passed in the last quarter mile? Rather than being upset that I beat him at the end to take third place, he THANKED me! His goal was to break 1:19:00 to qualify for New York, and he said that I made him run harder when I passed him and pulled him to the finish. He finished in 1:18:47 to achieve his goal and get his qualifying time. That is what the spirit of running is all about and why I love the running community.


My take home loot from completing
the race and 3rd place finish.

POST RACE
As usual at HMF Events, the post race party was great. A winners podium photo booth, great food, music, and people. I ran into old friends, talked to some of my new friends from Team HMF, and stuck around for the awards ceremony to collect my 'trophy.' HMF always gives unique and useful awards. Last time I ran the Iron Horse Half I won my age group and was given an Iron Horse beach towel. This year? An Iron Horse beer pitcher, an HMF running hat, and a Timex Ironman Road Trainer GPS watch. SWEET! Thanks to the Hartford Marathon Foundation, Timex, all the volunteers, and the town of Simsbury for putting on a great event. For a quick race recap check out the video where me and my Team HMF teammates are shown at 0:53.

Iron Horse Half Marathon, 10k and 5k race recap video.

NEXT UP
Riverfront Scramble #1, a 5k on Thursday evening, June 19th. The first in a series of three races that start at Mortensen Riverfront Plaza in Hartford, CT organized by HMF Events. The course include trails, grass, pavement, and maybe even some stairs along the Connecticut River. You never know what the course will be until just before you start. It's always fun, and the post-race includes burritos and beer. How's that for a reason to run!?

What's your next race?

No comments:

Post a Comment