Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Boston here I come

I was driving home from Albany. A text. Three more. A missed call. My friends and family were trying to get a hold of me. "Are you at the marathon?" "Two explosions reported at the Boston Marathon finish line." What? A transformer? Fireworks? A bomb? It didn't make sense. I quickly turned to a news station. Nobody seemed to know exactly what had transpired, but as the reports came it soon began to look like the explosions were most likely bombs detonated with bad intentions. It wasn't until I had arrived home, turned on CNN, and saw the horrific scene that I realized the magnitude of what had happened. I was sick to my stomach.

I couldn't process what I was seeing, hearing, and feeling. So many emotions, so many questions. How could someone intentionally harm so many innocent people? Why would they target a sport and event as unifying as the Boston Marathon? I felt helpless and confused, so I turned to what has always helped me through difficult times. I laced up my shoes, and I ran. As I ran, I thought about all the victims who may have lost their lives or sustained life-changing injuries. I thought of the runners who had worked so hard to get there, only to have what should have been a celebration of accomplishment stolen from them. I wondered how this would impact a sport that has become a way of life for me, and change future Boston Marathons. I decided that if there was ever to be another Boston Marathon, I had to be there. I needed be a part of it.

In the following days and weeks we learned about the victims and heard incredible stories about the heroic and selfless actions of first responders, runners, and fellow citizens. Following tragedy, a city, nation, and running community began to heal. It was decided that there would be a Boston Marathon in 2014, and I registered at first chance. I ran the Boston Marathon in 2006, and 2011. Both were incredible experiences, but nothing will compare to what is sure to be an amazing and unforgettable day.

I've spent hours on the treadmill through this long, cold winter. I've put in the miles and hard work on the road. I've anticipated this race like no other. And as we get down to these last few days before race day, I can already feel emotions coming to the surface. I get choked up at every related story I see or post I read. I don't know how the race will go for me, but I know that regardless of my time, I will be part of something great on Patriots Day in Boston, and we will take back our sport, our race, the city of Boston, and our nation. We will celebrate.

Perhaps Stephen Colbert said it best: "...But here's what these cowards really don't get. They attacked the Boston Marathon, an event celebrating people who run 26 miles on their day off until their nipples are raw for fun! And they've been holding it in Boston since 1897. And do you know how tough you have to be to run in a whale bone corset? And when those bombs went off there were runners who after finishing a marathon, kept running for another two miles to the hospital to donate blood. So, here's what I know. These maniacs might have tried to make life bad for the people of Boston, but all they can ever do is show just how good those people are."

If you want to break people's spirit and determination, Bostonians and Marathoners are the wrong groups to go after.

Boston here I come.

Do you remember where you were on April 15, 2013? How did the events surrounding the 2013 Boston Marathon affect you?

No comments:

Post a Comment