Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Hello, my name is Kevin.

Hello, my name is Kevin, and I'm a running addict. From the moment the starting gun went off at my first race 23 years ago, I was hooked. The energy of that event, the enthusiasm of the crowd, and the passion of the runners was contagious. I didn't realize it at the time, but my life would never again be the same. After that first race, I immediately wanted more. I wanted to recreate that experience, that feeling, again and again. I started frequently running 5k's, and dabbled in 10k's. But that was not enough. I soon moved on to the half marathon. I was training longer, running harder, and shaving minutes off my times every race I ran. I craved that feeling of adrenaline, that 'runner's high' when the endorphins kick in and create a sense of euphoria. I needed that fix. I decided to set my sights on the daunting marathon. In 1998 I ran my first marathon, and in 2005 qualified to run my first Boston Marathon. I had developed a serious habit.

That first race I ran was the storied Manchester Road Race in Manchester, CT on Thanksgiving Day. Since then I have run 23 consecutive Manchester Road Races. I have run countless 5k's, 10k's and halfs. I have run 12 marathons including the New York City Marathon and two Bostons. I will be running my third Boston Marathon in less than two weeks, a year after the tragic bombings at the finish line. Through running I have come to know the streets of Paris, Chicago, LA, Montreal, San Francisco, and so many other amazing cities. Admittedly I am obsessed, some might say addicted, but I believe it is a healthy addiction. I have managed to find a balance between my running, my challenging work schedule, and my busy family life. Running has made me a better person and allowed me to achieve goals and experience things I never imagined possible. Running is my way of life. It is part of me. My name is Kevin, and I'm a running addict.

Do you have a healthy obsession? How has it changed you?


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin. My name is Allie and I'm also a running addict! HA HA HA. I love how you wrote about seeing cities by running. When I travel, I find that to be the best way to check out a new place! So glad to see you blogging. Keep the running stories coming. Can't wait to see what you do in Boston this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie. When I visit a new city, I can't wait to lace up my shoes and go explore. Great way to get an entirely different perspective and see things you most likely wouldn't otherwise.

      Delete